The Benefits of Knowing Yourself
Maybe it’s obvious, but here, in a nutshell, are a few reasons why you might want to know yourself:
- Happiness. You will be happy when you express who you are. Expressing your thoughts will make it more likely that you get what you want.
- Less inner conflict. When your outside actions are according to your inner feelings and values, you will experience fewer inner conflicts.
- Better decision-making. When you know yourself, you will be able to make better choices about everything, from small decisions like which attire you’ll buy to big decisions like which partner you’ll spend your life with. You’ll have guidelines you can apply to solve different problems that arise in your life.
- Self-control. When you know yourself, you will understand what motivates you to resist bad habits and develop good habits. You’ll have the insight to know which values and goals activate your willpower.
- Resistance to social pressure. When you are grounded in your values and preferences, you less likely say “yes” when you have to say “no.”
- Tolerance and understanding of others. Your awareness of your own weakness and struggles can help you express with others.
- Vitality and pleasure. Being who you truly help you feel more alive and makes you experience life richer, larger, and more exciting.
Now that you are convinced that self-knowledge is worth having.